About Me

My photo
Born at the age of 4 in a woodcutter’s cottage in the Black Forest sometime next year, I’m a student at Leeds Met University studying Project Management. Despite the absolute lack of creative freedom, it’s alright and I’m quite good at it I suppose. Leeds Met is often referred to as ‘the other one’ in relation to its more distinguished cousin but I like to think it’s not important. We are all students of Leeds. I’m not an absolute ‘rah’ and I’m not a complete ‘spaz-tard’ – I’m very happily sandwiched in-between, all warm and snug. Anywho. I digress. I enjoy many things in life, from the humble Jaffa Cake and social intoxication to music and my attempts of being a ‘lad’. The idea of blogging has long been wandering aimlessly in my less-than-average sized head. During my previous life jumping when Yorkshire Water clapped, I put together a monthly newsletter which people seemed to like. So. Possessing a half decent grasp of the written word and the occasional tendency to be a bit of a douche, I thought ‘blogging’ could be a hoot. Enjoy. P.S. I must credit the late John Peel who I based my whole ‘born at the age of four...’ intro. Kudos, John. Kudos.

Friday 23 July 2010

Hyde Park Squatting

Having been synonymous with the internet since like, forever, the lack of it over the last few weeks whilst squatting alone at my friend Emily's new gaff has been most frustrating. Despite the obvious disablement of social networking which might have aided my sanity, being out in the internet wilderness came at a time when, after an intense yet joyous 36 hours of musical discussion with friends Luke and Andy, all I wanted to do was unearth some new music. I've also been wanting to buy a ticket to see Cancer Bats at the Cockpit in Leeds, as well as keeping tabs on the line-ups for Manchester's Warehouse Project (BOYS NOIZE) and the latest transfer gossip (I had no idea Joe Cole had signed for Liverpool until Andy brought it up casually before accusing the man of greed). I kept forgetting I didn't have the internet and often felt like the widowed trapeze artist with Alzheimer's featured in the Cleveland Show ('LOL').

Cancer Bats - Pneumonia Hawk (www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba4NiGoYjFw)

Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros - Home (www.youtube.com/watch?v=4306i99LMXo)

I could have also done with researching a new haircut and having found nothing in Vice (as if), NME or Rolling Stone, I concluded that I'm a bit disillusioned with the state of men's hair at the moment. Best just get a tidy-up before I re-sign working for 'the man' come August 31st (I'm embarking on a year-long placement as a 'Student Project Manager' at uni and won't lie - I'm dreading it).

I could have always stayed at my parents' new house somewhere within what's known as the 'Cleck-Hudders-Fax' triangle. But, that would not have worked out very well. I obviously love my parents but as I'm sure many of you can appreciate, spending too much time together can be detrimental to a relationship. With Nige now retired, Christine off school for the summer and no real place for me to retreat, it might well have come to me trying to drown myself in the well in the cellar, which I'm not really into.

I do love a good list and it's becoming increasingly apparent that I can't really operate my own life without one. Thanks to my constantly revised 'List of Life', I've been keeping busy...ish. Emily's garden is looking much tidier after taking advantage of the randomly stationed spade and sweeping brush, whilst I banked a 7 month old cheque from my Cyprus-based Grandma (who is coming over to stay for a whole month).

I've been watching a lot of 'Absolutely Fabulous' which has kept me giggling throughout the past fortnight or so. I was only little when it was on the telly-box and was something I really wouldn't have 'got'. The writing is like, well good and the mannerisms and facial expressions of Edwina (Jennifer Saunders, whom I definitely fancy) and particularly Patsy (Joanna Lumley, who has killer legs) are genius. Since seeing the episode where they get coked-up in a French cottage, I've had an overwhelming desire to play ping-pong.

With having one of the best part-time jobs in the world at the Leeds O2 Academy, I had the honour of experiencing some more genius in the form of Regina Spektor on Wednesday night. Having felt more than a bit ropey from the previous days' debaucherous shenanigans, she made everything okay with her beautiful yet quirky (and often blunt) lyrics, hitting every note perfectly with her piano, keyboard, guitar and particularly her voice. Oh my wow.

Regina Spektor - Samson (www.youtube.com/watch?v=p62rfWxs6a8&feature=avmsc2)

Post-Regina, it was home via my beloved Crispy takeaway for my 3rd £2.50 pizza of the week and into bed with Peep Show and my 'List of Life'. Upon examining the list, I was excited to see that I was due at the Cockpit the following night to see 'Time of Hibu' in a Futuresound competition where they were vying for a place at the Reading and Leeds Festivals.

Headlining the night, they gave a passionate, high-energy, performance and were as 'toyt' as Tupperware; I really bummed it. I couldn't help but stare at frontman Luke, who has a very unique style about him and a lovely face. The crowd around us were very receptive to each of their songs and hope the judges shared our enjoyment. Check out 'Go My Way' on their website (www.timeofhibu.comToH/Time_of_Hibu.html).

Simon.

No comments:

Post a Comment