About Me

My photo
Born at the age of 4 in a woodcutter’s cottage in the Black Forest sometime next year, I’m a student at Leeds Met University studying Project Management. Despite the absolute lack of creative freedom, it’s alright and I’m quite good at it I suppose. Leeds Met is often referred to as ‘the other one’ in relation to its more distinguished cousin but I like to think it’s not important. We are all students of Leeds. I’m not an absolute ‘rah’ and I’m not a complete ‘spaz-tard’ – I’m very happily sandwiched in-between, all warm and snug. Anywho. I digress. I enjoy many things in life, from the humble Jaffa Cake and social intoxication to music and my attempts of being a ‘lad’. The idea of blogging has long been wandering aimlessly in my less-than-average sized head. During my previous life jumping when Yorkshire Water clapped, I put together a monthly newsletter which people seemed to like. So. Possessing a half decent grasp of the written word and the occasional tendency to be a bit of a douche, I thought ‘blogging’ could be a hoot. Enjoy. P.S. I must credit the late John Peel who I based my whole ‘born at the age of four...’ intro. Kudos, John. Kudos.

Friday 3 September 2010

Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality

As I sit here with a cup of nettle tea, watching England play their football-stuff with my ulcer lingering behind my bottom lip, I have a bizarre and often-elusive feeling of satisfaction. For I am a full time worker. I'm a careerist. I'm a young professional. Come to think of it, I think I'm going to vom.

A long time coming it has been, but I finally began my year-long placement as Student Project Manager within Estate Services at Leeds Met University on Tuesday. After completely cacking myself (to a point where I could only muster one full spoon of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes (Frosties for wankers)) on my first morning, I've slowly begun to think that, actually, I was right - this year is going to be plop.

I've somehow found myself in a position where I have a big reputation to live up to. This added pressure of not letting anyone down and doing a ruddy bloody good job could well turn me all Cobainy. That said, this year is probably the making of my future life/career and 52 weeks of ZERO fun is a small price to pay for what I'm sure will be...wait...oh yes: a whole lifetime of stress, anxiety, bewilderment, frustration, confusion and downright...meh.

I'm sure it'll be alright. If I listen to this every morning, I might just make it through...

The Streets - Turn the Page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flt1I1U74h4)

Last weekend was fucking incredible.

My Leeds Festival experience was one shared by Si who, despite being a couple of years younger than me, grew up with the Blink 182's and the Limp Bizkit's of this world that shaped our lives. Having met up with our friend Sean and significant others, I met up with one of my bestest home girls Alice Marns (titties) to see Los Campesinos! (who were brilliant as ever) and a modicum of Wild Beasts before mooching down to the main stage to set up camp for the day. What a day. Limp Bizkit. Whoah.

Opening with Rollin' (with the all important 'Air Raid Vehicle' bracketed), they ripped through another 7 tracks including My Generation, Break Stuff (chin the Pope - consider my head blown) and Faith, it was my highlight of my late Summer - and that's saying something. We 'chilled' during Cypress Hill, got over-involved during Weezer, stared at Hayley during Paramore and got all emotional, shouty and extra crowd-surfy during Blink 182. Despite being drunk enough to end up in a vintage dress wandering around the fesitival till 6am, it was one of the most memorable days.

I'd also like to quickly express my gratitude to Becca for showing a cracking time in t'Lakes the weekend previously. As perfect-a-weekend away I'll probably ever have. There was wine, comfort, Michelin-star pub lunches, romantic boat rides on Windermere, fish and chips on the estuary, Kendal nightlife and tea-drinking (and The Expendables - what the flip was that about?). It was just what I needed.

Thanks also go to The Andes who put me up at theirs for a few nights before they headed to Reading and I headed to Hogwarts to get moved in. Despite a few teething problems i.e. where oh where was my hot water?, things are starting to look good.

Muse and Editors at Old Trafford tomorrow...bring on the beer queues and spine tingles.

Join me next time where I'll be contemplating Project Management-induced self harming and hopefully, Bestival.

Schimon x

P.S. It's not quite me doing Karaoke in Bulgaria, but hell it will do for me!:

Limp Bizkit - Break Stuff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_9zpAWFFKQ&feature=fvsr)

P.P.S We should totally cover this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment