About Me

My photo
Born at the age of 4 in a woodcutter’s cottage in the Black Forest sometime next year, I’m a student at Leeds Met University studying Project Management. Despite the absolute lack of creative freedom, it’s alright and I’m quite good at it I suppose. Leeds Met is often referred to as ‘the other one’ in relation to its more distinguished cousin but I like to think it’s not important. We are all students of Leeds. I’m not an absolute ‘rah’ and I’m not a complete ‘spaz-tard’ – I’m very happily sandwiched in-between, all warm and snug. Anywho. I digress. I enjoy many things in life, from the humble Jaffa Cake and social intoxication to music and my attempts of being a ‘lad’. The idea of blogging has long been wandering aimlessly in my less-than-average sized head. During my previous life jumping when Yorkshire Water clapped, I put together a monthly newsletter which people seemed to like. So. Possessing a half decent grasp of the written word and the occasional tendency to be a bit of a douche, I thought ‘blogging’ could be a hoot. Enjoy. P.S. I must credit the late John Peel who I based my whole ‘born at the age of four...’ intro. Kudos, John. Kudos.

Friday 1 April 2011

Campus Gems

Despite my occasional moans and gripes regarding my placement, I have had the opportunity to enjoy some nice buildings and sights whilst around on campus. Thought I might share a few of them didn't I?

Despite the prospect of saving like, a billion, gagillion, fafillion, shabolubalu million illion yillion...yen on rent, it's a shame that Leeds Met is pulling out of the Old School Board in the City. It's a phenomenal old Listed Building that possesses one of the greatest hidden gems in Leeds in the form of its double helix staircase. Originally a school, this uber-confusing Hogwarts-esque staircase used to keep boys and girls separated and is one of few of its kind anywhere in Muggle-land.

The Old School Board also has a grand ground floor interior, great views of Millennium Square and perfectly crafted and preserved carvings.


Mental.



Oooh. Fancy.


Is it me, or is Civic Hall proper wonky?


Schoolboy carving outside the Old School Board.

My view from the office directly faces the Leeds General Infirmary heli-pad, where helichopters (somewhat unfortunately) drop off and take off on an almost daily basis. According to my banana-loving, semi-mute colleague, this picture was of a well massive army chopper dropping off some poor dude.

Nee naw, nee naw


People often talk about how beautiful the Headingley campus looks in the sunshine. I am inclined to agree - the whole place glows and it really does exude a 'red brick' feel to the university (LOL). However, I've always enjoyed the way the place looks under cold, hazy mist. It makes it look proper 1800's Crimewatch. Or Jonathan Creeky.




Scotch mist


No comments:

Post a Comment